Full Moon Release Ritual
The full moon is the completion of a cycle; it symbolizes the end chapter. This is the time of the month that rituals are done in releasing or purging the things in our lives that no longer serve us such as addictions to food, drugs, or sex, relinquishing suffering involved in hurtful relationships, discharging physical and emotional pains, etc. Not too long ago a client of mine did a ceremony where he was throwing personal items that were in anyway related to his cancer into a bonfire. His actions were in celebration of his cancer going into remission. He even tossed the shirt he was wearing into the fire because it was the shirt he wore when he was first diagnosed with cancer. Full moon ceremonies can be very simple. If you’re in a group, each person in the circle takes his/her turn throwing scraps of paper into a fire and watched as they turn into ashes. The scraps of paper have words written down on them of those things we are releasing or vowing to change in our lives.
Full Moon Purging Preparation
Full Moon Purging
- Check the calendar for the next upcoming full moon.
- Create a sacred space and arrange a time to perform the ceremony. My preference is at night and outdoors so you I stand under the moonlight.
- Write all the things you would like to release or change, each item on a separate slip of paper.
- Supply suggestions: fire proof caldron or cooking pot to toss the burning paper in. Candle with matches or lighter. Water (to put out the fire afterwards). Smudge sticks for cleansing.
Full Moon Purging
- Cleanse your sacred area with an opening prayer, a sage smudging, and/or by burning some incense. Invite your guides/angels/masters/teachers to be at your side throughout the ceremony.
- Light one or more candles. Look to the skies. Breathe in the night air. Do your “I AM” connection.
- Read the writing on each slip of paper one at a time. Set your intention to release the item/addiction/attitude from your life. Set it to fire and place it in the fire. If you are doing this ritual with a group of others take turns reading your words. If these things are too personal to read out loud read them silently to yourself. Remember words have power.... Saying — "Be Gone" audibly and loudly can be very freeing.
- Thank the Spirits. Be in love and gratitude. Put out the fire.